Whether you are back at your regular desk or still working from the kitchen table, take a look around your current workstation. Are you prepared to do your best proofreading? Are your proofing props in place? What environmental changes will facilitate letter-perfect proofreading where you work?
Prepared proofreaders gear up with great tools. Use this handy checklist to double check your proofreading power pack:
- A colored 8.5 x 11 straight edge [This is your decontextualization tool; color provides contrast, so choose a color that is pleasing to your eyes. You’ll be using it a lot.]
- A colored pen [Most proofers use red because it stands out, but more and more resources recommend purple as the proofreaders’ color of choice.]
- A master list of the proofreading symbols as a ready reference
- Your organization’s writing style guide
- A general writing and grammar style guide
- A customized “Proofreading-in-Progress” sign
Add to this list as you see fit. It is my hope you will use these tools to catch the bloopers—before the bloopers catch up with you.
To customize a keynote or professional development session that will have your audience laughing and learning, contact Mandi Stanley.
Certified Speaking Professional Mandi Stanley works with business leaders who want to boost their professional image by becoming better speakers and writers through interactive high-content keynotes, breakout sessions, workshops, technical writing seminars, and fun proofreading classes.
You might also like: